Stacey Chamberlain, MD, MPH
Associate Professor and Director of Education and Service
Stacey Chamberlain is the Director of Education and Service in the Center for Global Health. Dr. Chamberlain is the Director of the Global Medicine (GMED) Program for UIC medical students, Director of the International Emergency Medicine and Global Health Fellowship Program, and co-Director of the Global Community Health Track for residents. She also teaches a service learning program for UIC Honors College undergraduate students. She is a board certified emergency physician and Associate Professor in the Department of Emergency Medicine.
Dr. Chamberlain has done clinical, educational, public-health, disaster-response, and emergency medicine development work, including working with several globally-focused NGOs, spanning five continents. She earned a Masters in Public Health from UIC and is one of the founding members of Global Emergency Care Collaborative, a non-profit organization dedicated to building capacity in emergency care in resource-limited settings, primarily in Uganda.
- Chamberlain S, Stolz U, Dreifuss B, Nelson SW, Hammerstedt H, Andinda J, Maling S, Bisanzo M. “Mortality Related to Acute Illness and Injury in Rural Uganda: Task Shifting to Improve Outcomes.” PLoS ONE 10(4): e0122559. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0122559. 2015 April.
- Hammerstedt H, Maling S, Kasyaba R, Dreifuss B, Chamberlain S, Nelson SW, Bisanzo M, Ezati Isaac. “Addressing WHO Resolution 60.22: A Pilot Project to Create Access to Acute Care Services in Uganda.” Ann Emerg Med 2014 March. Published online at doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.annemergmed.2014.01.035
- Terry B, Bisanzo M, McNamara M, Dreifuss B, Chamberlain S, Nelson S, Waters T, Hammerstedt H. “Task Shifting: Meeting the human resources needs for acute and emergency care in Africa.” Af J Emerg Med 2012 Dec
- Periyanayagam U, Dreifuss B, Hammerstedt H, Chamberlain S, Nelson S, Bisanzo M. “Acute Care Needs in a Rural Sub-Saharan African ED: A Retrospective Analysis.” Af J Emerg Med 2012 Dec
- Bisanzo M, Nichols K, Hammerstedt H, Dreifuss B, Nelson SW, Chamberlain S, Kyomugisha F, Noble A, Arthur A, Thomas S. “Nurse-Administered Ketamine Sedation in an Emergency Department in Rural Uganda.” Ann Emerg Med. 2011 Dec 9.
- Hammerstedt H, Chamberlain S, Nelson SW, Bisanzo, MC. “Alcohol-related hypoglycemia in rural Uganda: socioeconomic and physiologic contrasts.” Int J Emerg Med. 2011 Feb 10; 4:5.
- Babcock C, Baer C, Bayram JD, Chamberlain S, et al. “Chicago Medical Response to the 2010 Earthquake in Haiti: Translating Academic Collaboration into Direct Humanitarian Response.” Disaster Med Public Heath Prep. 2010 June;4(2):169-73.