Mission: The UIC Center for Global Health aims to create “better health through research, education, and service.” Service can be defined as the “act of helping someone”. The CGH looks to help people and populations that need it most, both internationally and locally, as global health is not limited by geography. Importantly, the CGH also serves the UIC community of students and faculty by engaging them and creating opportunities for collaboration, research, education, and other scholarly activities.
- To support initiatives, including those that are primarily focused on research or education, that improve the health of populations
- To advocate for social accountability and a “service” mentality among our students and faculty and through our programming
- To serve the global community through partnerships with service-focused non-profit organizations
- To serve our University community by providing resources including mentoring and opportunities for funding, clinical service, volunteering, and teaching, among others
- To serve our local Chicago community through collaborations with community organizations in service learning programs
- While service initiatives are inherently valuable to the recipients, given limited time and resources, these initiatives are not always prioritized in academic global health programming.
- Variability in the skillset of participants and lack of accountability and reliability for programming that relies on volunteerism can lead to fragmented and poorly coordinated initiatives that could create burden rather than value for our partners.
- To integrate a service focus into existing global health educational and research initiatives
- To create well-defined service-focused projects with partners that address a community need while still being manageable and achievable
- To coordinate efforts among service learning programs within and beyond UIC to share lessons learned and best practices
- To create integrated service learning programs that will bridge UIC, global health programming and Chicago community organizations and neighborhoods
Stacey Chamberlain, MD, MPH